Artist Leah Dorion is the winner of The Lung Association’s 100th Anniversary Art Competition
The jury for our competition convened on November 5th, 2010 at the University of Regina to select our winning entry. We are pleased to announce that our winner is Metis artist, Leah Marie Dorion, with her original artwork entitled ‘Sacred Breath’. To learn more about this outstanding Prince Albert artist, please visit her web site at www.leahdorion.com.
Thank you to our panel of judges for serving on the selection committee. They are:
Dr. Carmen Robertson, Associate Professor of Art Contemporary Aboriginal History Department of Visual Arts University of Regina;
Dr. Jo-Ann Episkenew, Director, Indigenous Peoples' Health Research Centre and Professor of English;
Mr. Robert Truszkowski, Assistant Professor, Printmaking; and
Mrs. Marilyn Reddy, Board of Directors, Lung Association of Saskatchewan.
About the Juried Art Competition
To help commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Lung Association of Saskatchewan in 2011, a juried art competition will be held to choose a piece of art that will help celebrate the anniversary events. Artists are asked to submit a two-dimensional work that explores family and community relations to tuberculosis and/or lung health in Saskatchewan.
The contest is open to Saskatchewan residents age 18 and over.
The winning entry will receive a prize of $2500.
Each Saskatchewan artist may submit one high resolution jpg, tiff, gif, png or pdf image file of original two-dimensional flat surface (wall-hang-able) work in ANY medium, no larger than 100 cm by 150 cm (3 feet by 5 feet) that can be reproduced in print form, with an accompanying 250-word explanation of how the work relates to the thematic intent of the competition. A second image file may be submitted should the artist choose to include a detail of the larger work. The winning entry may be used by the Lung Association of Saskatchewan as commemorative prints.
- The Lung Association of Saskatchewan 100th Anniversary Art Contest is open to residents of Saskatchewan age 18 and over. Only one entry per artist will be accepted.
- Entries shall consist of a complete and signed entry form, a high-resolution jpg, tiff, gif, png or pdf file of an unframed, two-dimensional work of art in any graphic medium not larger than 100 cm by 150 cm (3 feet by 5 feet), and a 250-word explanation. Entries must be received no later than 4:00 pm on October 29, 2010.
- Entries will be judged by a panel of adjudicators arranged through the Lung Association of Saskatchewan whose decision will be final and binding on the entrants.
- By signing the Entry Form, the entrant represents that the entry is wholly original, that the work was composed by the entrant, and that the entrant is owner of the copyright in the entry; warrants that the entry shall not infringe on any copyrights or other intellectual property rights of third parties. Each entrant waives his/her Exhibition Rights in the entry for the term of the Contest and in the event that the entry is chosen as the winning entry, agrees to waive and assign the entrant’s Exhibition Right to the winning entry, together with all rights of copyright and reproduction in favour of the Lung Association of Saskatchewan; agrees to be bound by the Contest rules and regulations.
- Upon the winning decision, the final entry must be delivered to the Lung Association of Saskatchewan (Saskatoon or Regina office) within one week of notification.
- The winning entry will become the property of the Lung Association of Saskatchewan and part of its art collection. The winning entry may be reproduced by the Lung Association of Saskatchewan as a commemorative print and/or used in its promotional materials and website.
- Board Members and employees of the Lung Association and their immediate family members are not eligible to enter the Contest.
Please complete the entry form and e-mail it with an attached reproduction in a jpg, tiff, gif, png or pdf file to ArtContest@sk.lung.ca. Please also mail a signed paper copy of the entry form to:
100th Anniversary Art Contest
Lung Association of Saskatchewan
1231 8th St E
Saskatoon SK S7H 0S5
The information collected in the entry form will only be used to acknowledge the receipt of entries, to contact artists with respect to their entries and to contact the winning artist. Entries other than the winning entry will not be used or displayed in any form without the prior explicit consent of the artist.
For more information, contact the Lung Association of Saskatchewan at 1-888-566-LUNG or email: ArtContest@sk.lung.ca.