This product is taken orally.
Why is it prescribed?
Pirfenidone is indicated for the treatment of mild to moderate idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) in adults. Pirfenidone may prevent worsening of the condition and it may improve current lung function.
The way that Esbriet® works is not fully understood. It may reduce inflammation and fibrosis in the lungs of patients with pulmonary fibrosis. It may prevent worsening of the condition and it may improve lung function.
It is important to take Esbriet® as your doctor has advised.
The capsules should be swallowed whole with a full glass of water. Esbriet® should be taken with food to lessen the chance of stomach upset and dizziness.
Do not drink grapefruit juice while taking Esbriet®.
Do not smoke cigarettes while taking Esbriet®. Smoking can reduce the benefit of taking Esbriet®.
If a dose is missed, the next capsule(s) should be taken as originally planned. Double doses should not be taken to make up for forgotten capsules or doses.
Store this medication at room temperature out of reach of children.
See other products used in the treatment of •pulmonary fibrosis •
Esbriet® is usually taken in increasing doses as follows:
- Take one capsule three times daily for Days 1 to 7.
- Take two capsules three times daily for Days 8 to 14.
- Take three capsules three times daily from Day 15 onward.
The way that perfenidone works is not fully understood. It may reduce inflammation and fibrosis in the lungs of patients with pulmonary fibrosis. It may prevent worsening of the condition and it may improve lung function.
Along with its benefits, pirfenidone may cause some unwanted effects. The most common side effects include:
- weight loss
- rash and increased sensitivity to the sun.
Seek medical attention right away if you experience any of these side effects:
- Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; wheezing)
- chest pain
- severe or persistent diarrhea, nausea, stomach pain or upset, or vomiting
- symptoms of liver problems (eg, bleeding or bruising more easily than normal, dark urine, pale stools, persistent loss of appetite, severe stomach pain, unusual tiredness, yellowing of the eyes or skin).
Do not take pirfenidone:
- If you are allergic to pirfenidone or any of the other ingredients in this medicin
- If you have severe liver disease
- If you have severe kidney disease
- If you are taking:
- fluvoxamine to treat depression and obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
Pirfenidone should be prescribed by and supervised by specialist physicians experienced in the diagnosis and treatment of IPF.
Cigarette smoking decreases pirfenidone's effectiveness. Patients should stop smoking before, and not smoke during pirfenidone therapy
Pirfenidone may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to pirfenidone. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
Pirfenidone should be used cautiously in patients with reduced liver or kidney function.
Use in pregnancy: not recommended.
Use in breastfeeding: not recommended