This product is taken orally.
Why is it prescribed?
Orkambi® is indicated for the treatment of cystic fibrosis (CF) in patients age 2 years and older who are homozygous for the F508del mutation in the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) gene.
Each dose should be taken just before or just after fat-containing food.
Take regularly even if you feel well.
- Take your doses 12 hours apart (morning and evening).
- Do not break, crush, or chew the tablet. Swallow the table whole with a glass of water.
- If you miss a dose and it is within 6 hours of when you usually take it, take your dose as soon as possible.
- If you miss a dose and it is more than 6 hours after the time you usually take it, skip that dose only and take the next dose when you usually take it.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time to make up for your missed dose.
Store at room temperature.
See other products used in the treatment of •
- 2 through 5 years and weighing less than 14 kg: One lumacaftor 100 mg/ivacaftor 125 mg packet of granules orally every 12 hours
- 2 through 5 years and weighing 14 kg or greater: One lumacaftor 150 mg/ivacaftor 188 mg packet of granules orally every 12 hours
- 6 through 11 years: Two lumacaftor 100 mg/ivacaftor 125 mg tablets orally every 12 hours
- 12 years and older: Two lumacaftor 200 mg/ivacaftor 125 mg tablets every orally 12 hours
The CFTR protein helps bring chloride ions out of the cells in many organs. People who have two copies of the F508del mutation in the CFTR gene have a lower amount of CFTR protein at the surface of their cells.
Orkambi® is a “cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator corrector and potentiator.” The two ingredients in this medication help bring more chloride ions out of the cells in many organs. Lumacaftor, a CFTR corrector, increases the amount of the CFTR proteins at the cell surface. Ivacaftor, a CFTR potentiator, makes the CFTR protein at the cell surface work better.
Possible side effects - contact physician if serious or bothersome
- stuffy or runny nose
- stomach pain
- increased cough and/or sputum
- sore throat
- shortness of breath and/or chest tightness
- increase in blood pressure
- decrease in heart rate
- flu or flu-like symptoms
- increase in muscle enzyme levels
- irregular, abnormal, or painful periods and increase in the amount of menstrual bleeding
Take this medication with caution if you:
- have liver disease
- have catarats
- have had an organ transplant.
- have high blood pressure, a low heart rate, or other heart conditions
- have kidney disease.
- are using birth control (hormonal contraceptives including oral, injectable, transdermal,or implantable forms). Hormonal contraceptives should not be used as a method of birth control when taking Orkambi®.
The following medications may interact with Orkambi®:
- Antifungal medicines such as ketoconazole, itraconazole, posaconazole, voriconazole, fluconazole
- Antibiotics such as telithromycin, clarithromycin, rifabutin, rifampicin, levofloxacin, erythromycin
- Anticonvulsant medicines such as phenobarbital, carbamazepine, phenytoin
- St. John’s wort
- Benzodiazepines such as midazolam, triazolam
- Antidepressants such as citalopram, escitalopram, sertraline
- Anti-allergics such as montelukast
Use in pregnancy and breastfeeding. Little is known about the safety of this medication when used in pregnancy and breastfeeding. Consult your doctor or pharmacist before use.