What is Radon?
Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer and Saskatchewan is a hot spot! Radon is a radioactive gas that comes from the natural break down of uranium. All homes have some level of radon. The question is how much. You can’t see, taste, or smell radon, the only way to know how much radon is in your home is to test for it.
Radon can seep into your home through cracks in the foundation, pipe openings, and other places where the house is open to the ground. In confined spaces like a house, radon can build up to high levels and become a health risk. The current Canadian guideline for radon is 200 Becquerels per cubic meter (200 Bq/m3).
What is the health risks?
Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer after smoking. It is estimated that 3,200 deaths every year in Canada are because of radon. People who smoke AND are exposed to high levels of radon have an even greater risk of lung cancer. There are no immediate symptoms when you are exposed to radon. The health risk from radon is long-term. There is also no safe level of radon exposure, however the longer you are exposed to high levels of radon, the greater the risk of developing lung cancer.